Tuesday, July 16, 2024

Grape-ful for Vacation Bible School by Cindy Browning

 “I just like to smile. Smiling’s my favorite.” Buddy the Elf

“I just like vacation Bible School. Vacation Bible School’s my favorite.” Cindy Browning


It’s true! I really like VBS! I always have. And guess what? I think that God does too! How do I know? Well, I know that He loves children.



My childhood summers always included VBS, sometimes more than one. As a teenager, I served as a helper. As an adult, a teacher. As a parent, I was the chauffeur for little attendees. Vacation Bible School has always been the highlight of my summers.

Years ago, the church I attended decided that the theme for that year’s VBS would be Bible Times. We emptied the fellowship hall to create what we imagined a little Judean village to look like 2,000 years ago. We set up a tent to serve as an ancient Judean bakery where snacks would be served. We set up another tent where we would pretend to sell pottery and wares. We had another tent space for the Bible lesson. We dressed in robes and sandals and head coverings. We had big plans to travel back in time the best we could.


About a month before we were to set up our little village, adult small groups were asked to donate various items. Our small group leader for the Young Marrieds class announced that they would provide the grapes for the wine press. A wading pool would be filled with grapes and the children would stomp on the grapes as one of their activities. Now, at that time, there must have been a grape shortage, because grapes were expensive. I couldn’t believe that a bunch of young adults with hardly two nickels to rub together would have been volunteered to buy a swimming pool full of grapes just to be stomped. So, I thought we could get local grocery stores to donate enough grapes that we would only have to buy a little--if any at all. I volunteered to go around town asking for donations. I didn’t have much luck. Each store only offered a little bunch of grapes that I was to pick up closer to VBS time. When the day came for me to collect what had been donated, my little bunches were not amounting to much. I maybe had enough to fill a bucket, but certainly not enough to fill a kiddie pool.  At the last stop, which was Albertson's, I went to the produce department and waited for the manager to come out so I could get the grapes he promised. When he came out, he said, “I had several boxes of grapes come in that I cannot sell. They're just too ripe, and I'm going to have to throw them away. You wouldn't want these, would you?” What?! Yes, yes, yes! I did want them. That was exactly what we needed--grapes that were just right for stomping. And for free! I took those boxes, filled up the pool, and kept the good grapes to serve as snacks. I know without a doubt that God provided those “stomping” grapes for us! He enjoys VBS too!

I could go on about how God has blessed Vacation Bible Schools throughout the years. If you want to see the widest smiles and hear the most joyful laughter, it is the place to be. If you want to hear earnest prayers and sincere praises, it is also the place to be. The sweetest singing can be heard throughout the church during that week. Jesus draws near to children and children are drawn to Him. Do you remember what happened after Jesus’ triumphant entry into Jerusalem a week before His crucifixion? Children could be heard praising Him in the Temple. And Jesus had a reminder for the adults:

Matthew 21:15-16 (CSB)

When the chief priests and the scribes saw the wonders that he did and the children shouting in the temple, "Hosanna to the Son of David!" they were indignant and said to him, "Do you hear what these children are saying?" Jesus replied, "Yes, have you never read: You have prepared praise from the mouths of infants and nursing babes?"


Before you know it, preparations will begin for next summer’s Northside VBS. Come Spring you will see a table set up promoting opportunities for you to participate in one of the best weeks on our church’s calendar. Don’t pass it by. Stop. Check it out. See where you might like to participate. Be “grape-ful” for the opportunity to serve.  If you decide to come and be a part, you might just say that Vacation Bible School’s your favorite too!  


*Pictures are from Northside Church VBS 2024

 

No comments:

Post a Comment